I’ve always said that Opie is a Snorkie. I kind of stand by that, but who knows what else is in the mix. I am going by what was on his kennel card and we all know how accurate those are…. NOT!!! However, he definitely has a schnauzer snout and some wild Yorkie hair.
I sometimes have trouble picturing his Mama and Daddy. Both would be small dogs but we all know the Yorkie would be eeny weeny. He has some dopple ganger blog pals and he seems to have very strong schnauzer characteristics.
So here are the vital statistics.
Opie weighs a little over 20 pounds. (When we got him the vet said he was under weight at 15 pounds and he’s now a solid 20+) Still has his boyish figure though. We are watching the treats. (Noticed that as he walked by he shook the floor the other day) No more jerky for you Bub!
He’s about 16 inches tall.
He’s a jumper! He can jump a solid 4 feet straight up. He’s super fast as well and loves to run!
His personality traits
- He’s super playful, loving, brave and territorial!
- Take his guard dog responsibilities quite seriously. Yesterday, a stranger climbed over our fence while he was in the back yard (Don’t freak out! It was the neighbors’ cable guy) Opie chased the guy OFF our property with teeth bared, growling and barking like he meant business. The guy had to really hustle back over the fence. The guy returned about 10 minutes later and asked permission to enter the back yard (Hello — what he should have done in the first place!) Opie received treats for doing his job! This is exactly what you want your dog to do.
- He’s got a fairly medium bark. Not yippy or high pitched at all, but not basset hound deep. He sounds bigger than he is.
- Tolerant of 9 year old boys who insist on carrying him around like a baby.
- Affectionate – loves to kiss ( lick)
- A total belly rub pig
- Sneaky and smart
Opportunistic (Drop a piece of steak that you’re cutting on the floor and see what happens.) We call him wolf dog sometimes!
Okay now here’s the photo shoot!
Here is Opie playing at the dog park WHICH IS STILL CLOSED!!!
Opie looking pensively at the camera.
Opie looking at his Yorkie cousins.
Note the size difference please! Do you see why it’s hard to picture?
Opie fresh from the groomer!
Opie is conferring with other dogs at Overrieder Dog Park.
Note that he is about the same size as the beagle.
Opie being a belly rub pig!